We provide HR Services to Small Businesses or Mentor your In house HR person to make sure you don’t get it wrong.
DIY HR is Risky Business
Let’s Assess The Risks You Are Taking If You Don’t Get It Right
The 3 key factors for Employers with regard to HR are recruiting the best people, managing their performance and addressing concerns if they arise.
This assessment will give you an idea of the level of risk of litigation to which you could be exposed if proper processes are not followed.
Recruiting New Employees:
- Have you thoroughly scoped the position and matched it to the Job Description?
- Do you know the most appropriate places to find the best people?
- Do you know how to advertise in a lawful way?
- Do you have a set of prepared lawful interview questions?
- Do you have a set of prepared lawful referee questions?
Have you prepared the following documentation:
- Letter of Offer
- Employment Agreement, that contains a 90 day trial period
- Company Policy Manual or Code of Conduct
- IRD and Kiwisaver
- Have you prepared an induction plan for new employees?
- How will you develop new employees?
Managing Employee Performance:
- Does your Employment Agreement contain a clause that describes the process should any concerns arise?
- Do you have an Appraisal Plan in place?
- How do you measure performance of your staff?
- How do you reward great performance?
- Do you know the lawful process to follow if an employee is not performing?
Enacting Disciplinary Processes:
- Do you have a system in place for recording incidents/events/concerns?
- Performance or discipline – do you know the difference?
- Do you have Company Policies that align with the Company’s values and which describe potential misconduct or serious misconduct?
- Do you know the lawful processes for:
- raising an employment concern to an employee?
- conducting an investigation into any matter?
- issuing a Written Warning or terminating an employee?
Work Law Advocates are experts in all of these matters and can assist you to set up systems and policies that will ensure your risk of litigation by employees is minimised.